SOHL Mentoring Program
Goals of the Mentoring Program:
- To empower the next generation of healthcare leaders with knowledge, skill, and compassion.
- To motivate students, early healthcare careerists, and other health care professionals to be active members of ACHE at the national and local levels throughout their career.
- To develop a positive interactive relationship, benefiting both mentor and protégé’, stimulating their passion and drive to better serve our community.
The Mentor/Protégé relationship:
This is an excellent opportunity for healthcare leaders with at least 5 year experience to assist students, early healthcare careerists, and other health care professionals in their growth, skills, and development. Forming a mentor/protégé’ relationship can be beneficial for both parties. The Mentor can provide knowledge, guidance, and networking resources to the protégé. The protégé can enhance, renew, and refresh the skills and passion of the mentor through challenging questions, project ideas, and newly learned information. Both can play a significant role as advocates for healthcare population needs in our current and future healthcare ever-changing environment.
The Mentor will:
- Share skills, knowledge and expertise
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and act as a positive role model
- Value ongoing learning and growth in the field
- Provide guidance and constructive feedback
- Keep regular and frequent contacts with your mentee. At least one of these should be a face-to-face exchange.
- Keep the content of discussions within the mentoring relationship confidential.
- Support your mentee
- Help your mentee develop a career that reflects their potential and goals
- Offer wisdom, knowledge, experience, constructive criticism, connections and resources
- Focus on your mentee’s overall career directions rather than on day-to-day concerns
- Set an example for the level of success your mentee hopes to achieve
The Protégé will:
- Explain expectations of the relationship and be forthright in all respects with the mentor.
- Be realistic and maintain a positive attitude.
- Keep scheduled appointments with the mentor and maintain regular contact. Use the mentor’s time effectively.
- Take responsibility for own learning experience and keep the mentor updated on progress.
- Be proactive to seek information and guidance of the mentor.
- Balance the personal and professional relationship with mentor. Maintain confidentiality.
- Recognize the help the mentor is giving and express appreciation.
- Enlist the assistance of the mentor in setting both short- and long-term professional development goals.
- Demonstrate initiative. Solicit input from the mentor and act on it appropriately.
- Be flexible and open to constructive suggestions.
- Discuss professional development with mentor, without sole expectation of a job offer or the like.
- All participants are members of SOHL.
- Applications and resumes will be accepted January 15 -February 15, 2018.
- Mentor/Protégé formal length of program: April 2018 – October 2018
- All contact information will remain private and provided only to your program partner.
- Applicants will be paired as closely to requests as possible.
- Protégé’ is responsible for contacting Mentor and coordinating their meeting schedule.
- Mentor is to have a minimum of 5 years of healthcare leadership experience
- Informational event for participating members to be held in April 2018
- Reception for participating members following the program completion in October 2018
- Evaluation of the experience upon completion to better enhance the program.
If you are a healthcare leader with a minimum of 5 years of experience, please consider becoming a mentor.
If you are a student in a healthcare program or are an early careerist in health care, we would love to hear from you.
If you have participated in this program in the past, we would love to have you back so please consider participating again this year.
Please use the Mentor or Protégé Applications so you can specify your area of interest in order to match you as close to your requests as possible.
Please email your resume along with the Mentoring/Protégé Application to:
email@example.com Attn: SOHL Mentor Program Chairs