Accepting applications now – for mentors and protégés for the 2021 Mentoring Program
Goals of the Mentoring Program:
- To empower the next generation of healthcare leaders with knowledge, skill, and compassion.
- To motivate students, early healthcare careerists, and other health care professionals to be active members of ACHE at the national and local levels throughout their career.
- To develop a positive interactive relationship, benefiting both mentor and protégé’, stimulating their passion and drive to better serve our community.
The Mentor/Protégé Relationship:
This is an excellent opportunity for leaders with at least 5 years of health care experience to assist students, early healthcare careerists, and other professionals in their growth, skills, and development. The Mentor can provide knowledge, guidance, and networking resources to the protégé. The protégé can enhance, renew, and refresh the skills and passion of the mentor through challenging questions, project ideas, and newly learned information. Both can play a significant role as advocates for healthcare population needs in our current and future healthcare ever-changing environment.
The Mentor will:
- Share skills, knowledge and expertise.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and act as a positive role model.
- Value ongoing learning and growth in the field.
- Provide guidance and constructive feedback.
- Keep regular and frequent contacts with your protégé. At least one of these should be a face-to-face exchange.
- Keep the content of discussions within the mentoring relationship confidential.
- Support your protégé.
- Help your protégé develop a career that reflects their potential and goals.
- Offer wisdom, knowledge, experience, constructive criticism, connections and resources.
- Focus on your protégé’s overall career directions rather than on day-to-day concerns.
- Set an example for the level of success your protégé hopes to achieve.
The Protégé will:
- Explain expectations of the relationship and be forthright in all respects with the mentor.
- Be realistic and maintain a positive attitude.
- Keep scheduled appointments with the mentor and maintain regular contact. Use the mentor’s time effectively.
- Take responsibility for own learning experience and keep the mentor updated on progress.
- Be proactive to seek information and guidance of the mentor.
- Balance the personal and professional relationship with mentor. Maintain confidentiality.
- Recognize the help the mentor is giving and express appreciation.
- Enlist the assistance of the mentor in setting both short- and long-term professional development goals.
- Demonstrate initiative. Solicit input from the mentor and act on it appropriately.
- Be flexible and open to constructive suggestions.
- Discuss professional development with mentor, without sole expectation of a job offer or the like.
Requirements: All participants are members of SOHL.
Application Deadline: Applications and resumes are accepted until March 10, 2021. Due to the matching process, we are unable to accept late applications.
Time Commitment: Program runs April 2021 – October 2021. Time expectation is that mentors and protégés meet once per month for one hour either in person, by phone or video.
Matching: Applicants will be paired as closely to requests as possible. If local area matches aren’t available, applicants may be referred to the national ACHE Mentoring program.
Privacy: All contact information will remain private and provided only to your program partner.
Scheduling: Protégé is responsible for contacting Mentor and coordinating their meeting schedule.
Experience Requirements: Mentor is to have a minimum of 5 years of healthcare leadership experience. Protégé is a graduate student, or less than 5 years in their healthcare career, or most recent career transition into a new concentration.
Events: Informational event for participating members to be held April 10, 2020. Reception for participating members following the program completion in November 2020.
Continuous Improvement: Evaluation of the experience upon completion to better enhance the program.
March 10, 2021: Application deadline
March 31: Pairs announced via email
April 8: Virtual Kick-Off Event (details will be emailed to participants)
April – October: Mentors & Protégés meet once per month by phone or video/zoom. In-person may be an option depending on Covid-19 pandemic guidelines.
November 1, 2021: Close-out virtual celebration
Time Commitment: Program runs April– October. It is expected that mentors and protégés meet once per month (minimum) for one hour either in person, by phone or video.
If you are a healthcare leader with a minimum of 5 years of experience, please consider becoming a mentor.
If you are a student in a healthcare program or are an early careerist in health care, we would love to hear from you.
If you have participated in this program in the past, we would love to have you back so please consider participating again this year.
Please use the Mentor or Protégé Applications and email your resume so you can specify your area of interest in order to match you as close to your requests as possible.
Questions and email address for resumes: firstname.lastname@example.org